Support for early-career researchers
Who is supported?
The Faculty of Science supports the participation of lower mid-level (intermediate) faculty (Mittelbau) and staff (doctoral candidates and postdocs enrolled in the Faculty of Science) in international conferences (e.g. scientific conferences and workshops, summer schools , etc.) as a means of promoting further scientific education and enabling early-career researchers to expand their networks. In terms of funding for such participation, priority is given to those applications that clearly demonstrate the impossibility of obtaining other sources of financing – i.e. funding from research projects is not available.
What are the requirements?
- The conference must be publicly announced, have an international character and offer opportunities for networking between participating scientists with varying degrees of experience.
- The provision of funding is contingent upon active participation in a scientific conference, symposium etc. This means that approval for participation is subject to a selection process (public announcement) or that the participation must include at least one presentation (speech or poster).
- Support is provided for a maximum of once every four years per person.
- An application form must be sent by e-mail to Esther Fiechter, before the conference, symposium etc.
- The e-mail should also include the candidate's CV, a copy of the conference program and confirmation of the candidate's presentation (speech) or poster at the event, or confirmation that the candidate has been selected to participate in the conference
Amount of funding
The maximum award is CHF 2,000 per application.
When are the grants awarded?
Three times per year (March 31, June 30 and October 31)
Reimbursement of costs
The grant is paid after a short report on the conference has been submitted along with an itemized list of expenses with all the normally required information and documentation (original receipts for conference participation fees, travel expenses – standard: 2nd class rail; accommodations, home address, bank account information etc.). If an institute paid for expenses in advance, its bank account information must be provided.
All of the above information is also available in a PDF file.